Tuesday, January 7, 2014


Today I was in my car pondering wanting more or being content with what I have. Many of you know that I drive a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang type of car, Which is to say its what it sounds like when its running. At least its not as bad as the Uncle Buck car that loudly back fires. Well its old as dirt and has no AC/heat. Which means its bad in hot and cold weather. When I drive it now due to super cold weather, I bundle as much of me as I can. I was stopped at a red light complaining about being cold and needing a new car when I saw a homeless man across the way. He had all of his belongings carried with him. He had a huge bed sheet which he made into a full body scarf wrapped completely around him to stay warm. I sat there totally ashamed and completely convicted. I am so blessed for what I have even though it isn't the greatest. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, money in my pockets, friends & family to help me out in times of need. What else do I need so badly. All the times I spend foolishly on stuff I swear I need, even though I probably have multiples just like it at home. If I were to be stripped down to just having Jesus to rely on and only the bare essentials would I be content or would I need more... I feel like in our world that's were we are constantly surrounded by. Magazines, TV, and radio is submerged by the key phrase you are not happy, you need more. I can't be truly happy unless I have the latest technology, millions in my bank account, hottest fashion trends. I feel the phrase I am content and I have enough is lost in translation. If anything we need to downsize our way of thinking, living, and spending. Have any of you purchased something only to have feelings of spending regret the whole car ride back home. Do I really need another pair of shoes, do my clothes need to cost more than a rent check, do I need to show off and get the latest and greatest. What do all these things say about us. Will we remembered by all that we owned or for what we gave. None of these things we can take with us. Like us they will fade and be only dust in the wind. Today friends at work were telling me I need a new car because I walked in looking like a scientist from the North Pole. Yes, I do need a new car, but I am grateful for God putting that man on my heart. What a picture of being satisfied in God's care and such a picture of where these wants really come from. I need to recheck my focus, that when I swear I will just die unless I have it, I will remember a man fighting to survive on what he's carrying. God is so good in using something or someone to change your heart. Please don't misunderstand my post. I am not saying that having these things are bad. If God has blessed you greatly then that's awesome. Or if you are struggling to make do, you are still blessed more than many others out there with nothing. We need to focus on sharing or giving blessings then needing to receive them. When it gets warmer I need to clean out my house to give away much of what I definitely don't need. My spending will be cut back to being content or to giving back. The homeless man may never know how much of a lesson he bestowed upon me just by standing across the street from my car. I will surely not forget him. I have enough, I am grateful for what I have, I am content in Jesus, I need to share my blessings. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment